The Women of Champagne are Making Shift Happen - #Winophiles
Champagne. It has history, clout, and when you think of drinking it is usually around a celebration. The famous houses all have a woman associated with them, although many people who drink their champagnes may not know this. The madams - Clicquot, Moët, Bollinger, and Pommery paved the champagne trail, but in the present time it is another set of madams and mademoiselles taking champagne to the next generation.
Over the past few years I have been fortunate to meet the women behind some of the new kids on the block of champagne and to taste their champagnes. Marie-Inès Romelle, the first and only Black champagne producer, Rita Jammet, the hospitality veteran and proprietor of Champagne La Caravelle, and Blaine Ashley, the new guard of Champagne Bulle de Rêve. As a writer my job is two-fold. It’s to tell the story, but it is also to promote and support other women.
Our Twitter chat will explore the women of champagne from winemakers to the women behind the business. My fellow #Winophiles are also joining the par-tay (in my Bridesmaids voice) and you can find what they discovered about the women of champagne too.
It’s going to be a popping good time. Yes, it’s early, but it’s always time for champagne.
Join us Saturday, March 16 at 11:00 Eastern.
The #Wineophiles are having a good time with champagne this month:
- Pinny from Chinese Food & Wine Pairings whips up “Women Who Make Champagne AND Woman Who Helps Us Learn About Champagne #Winophiles #tastelikehappy"
- Cynthia and Pierre from Traveling Wine Profs talk about Champagne and Sushi with “Grower Champagne with Make-Your-Own Sushi Dinner"
- Martin from Enofylz Wine Blog writes on overcoming with“Overcoming the Odds Twice - The Women of Champagne Duval-Leroy"
- Gwendolyn from Wine Predator talks about champagne with halibut with the “Wonderful Women of Champagne and Halibut 3 Ways for #Winophiles"
- Jill from L’Occasion writes about “Working With the Classics: Advice from Women in Champagne"
- Robin from Crushed Grape Chronicles asks the question, “Where Are the Women in Champagne?"
- Camila from Culinary Adventures with Camila makes you hungry with “Glazed Beet & Burrata Toasts + Alice Paillard"
- Nicole from Somm’s Table talks frommage with “Champagne Dames, Lamiable Extra Brut, and a Hot Cheesy Mess"
COMING UP ON THE FRENCH WINOPHILES
April 20, 2019: Chablis | Host: Liz Barrett from What’s In That Bottle?
May 18, 2019: Gérard Bertrand Wines | Languedoc- Roussillion | Host: L.M. LM Archer of L.M. Archer
June 15, 2019: French Cheese & Wine | Host: Martin Redmond of ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
July 20, 2019: Loire: Anjou-Saumur | Host: Camilla M. Mann of Culinary Adventures With Camilla
August 17, 2019: French Basque Country | Host: Lynn Gowdy of Savor the Harvest
September 21, 2019: Corsica | Host: Payal Vora of Keep the Peas
October 19, 2019: Cahors | Host: Nicole Ruiz Hudson of Somm’s Table
November 16, 2019: Rasteau with Thanksgiving| Host: Michelle Williams of Rockin Red Blog
December 21, 2019: Vouvray | Host: Jeff Burrows of FoodWineClick